- General Information
The Central Library: In its report The Nepal National Education Commission, appointed in 1954, recommended as saying "A strong central library should be established as a center for study and research". As a result, an agreement between the Government of Nepal and the US Agency for International Development (USAID) was signed on April 30, 1957 to establish a Central Library in Kathmandu. Consequently, a Central Library at Lal Durbar, Kathmandu was established under the guidance of Dr. E.W. Erickson on June 1, 1959 , through the effort of Mr. John L. Hefenrichter, the US Library Advisor at US Aid Nepal.
The T.U. Library: In July 1959, the Tribhuvan University Act was passed and the University itself came into existence. This same year, Tribhuvan University Library was established. This library originally suffered from inadequate book collection and facilities. At that time the library had only 1200 books, shelved in stacks made out of bricks and planks of wood in a very limited space. With the absence of a trained librarian, the collection could not be organized in a systematic manner.
Merge of two libraries: After three years, in 1962, the Central Library at Lal Durbar was handed over to Tribhuvan University Library in accordance with a decision of HMG of Nepal, and thus, after the merge of the 3 years old Central library (having a collection of 15,000 volumes of books) with the Tribhuvan University Library (having a collection of 7813 volumes) it came to be known as Tribhuvan University Library (TUCL) and the collection reached 24,813 volumes of books. In 1977 (2033 B.S.) it became the T.U. Central Library. Now, by May 2009 the library has altogether 300,000 volumes of books and other documents.